Friday, February 22, 2008

Simple but not easy

Asking Jesus today to show me how he wants me to follow him felt a little scary. Like asking for an action plan without knowing the assignment first. My reflection on this came sandwiched between a couple of significant moments in my day. I started the day in a bit of a frenzy. I don't know, I guess I just left too much to do in the morning before everybody had to be out the door at roughly the same time. So I fired off a quick email to a friend asking for some prayer coverage for my day, in hopes that a joint effort might bring a bit of calm into what I knew was going to be a fast-paced day.

I had a few moments throughout the day to ask this question, and wait on the response. What I got was "it's not complicated, but it's not necessarily easy". The following him part. There really was no clear picture this time, but a sense that trust is key. Trusting God, and trusting others. Hmmm ... independent me has a hard time with that sometimes.

When I got home, there was an email response from my friend. She shared a verse from Nehemiah 8:10 and it says the joy of the Lord is your strength. I sat with it a bit. Turned back a page in my journal and remembered the words of joy in Jesus' love song to me. That's my strength. I've heard those words before, but I understood them in a new way this evening. Trust God. Sounds simple but not necessarily easy. I guess that's what following him looks like for me right now.
-Candice

No comments: