Monday, February 25, 2008

Frenzied Encounters with Mr. Internet

Last Monday, I fasted from …(drum roll)…online shopping & emailing! When I asked Jesus why online shopping, I felt he said, “It puts you into a frenzy, it drains you, and it leaves you thirsty for more and more deals. It’s not that I don’t want to bless you in this way, but it brings out the want-monster in you. If you do shop, I want it to be from a place that doesn’t so easily become off-centered! Your email habits do this to you as well (Ouch!)…Emailing needs to come out of a centering with me that is stable.”

I felt like Jesus has been prying my fingers off of how much time I spend on the net. Last Monday was very restful for me. The gift he gave me was peace & rest in exchange for my usual frenzied online shopping/emailing. It was sobering to realize how much peace I can sacrifice when searching for all my ‘wants’!

-Andrea

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Andrea,
It's funny that this was your fast, because I had just put the girls to bed, and was cozied up on the couch ready go online when I thought, "I should really check that blog again. I bet there's something there that's more important than checking the weather, again!"

And I'm so glad I did. All the entries are so good, and so real.

When I asked Jesus what He'd like to focus my thoughts on this week, he took me on a tour of my house and showed me which rooms I should spend more time in. My girls' rooms, my bedroom (just for more rest people!), and the living room. Sounds like my thoughts need to be focused on my rest and relaxation (probably 'cause I've been sick), and on my family. Sweet - the dishes are going to sit!

Thanks again, Andrea. I too am going to fast from the Internet for the remainder of the day (I know that's a little lame at 9:15) so as to de-clutter my mind, to rest and relax, and to see what else Jesus has for me tonight.

Caio,
Connie

Seeds iPray Team said...

Thank-YOU Connie! I like how Jesus took you through a tour of your house, neat image.
-Andrea