Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Writing in the Dirt

I read the story of the adulterous woman again today. Nervously I asked the question, "who am I in this story?" Then I squeezed my eyes shut and waited. And I heard "You are Forgiven". Big exhale. I read the story again. Being named Forgiven seems to align me with the adulterous woman. How often have I stood and waited to be condemned by people? Expected it? Only to be forgiven by the One who does not keep score.

Something that intrigues me whenever I read or hear this story is what Jesus is writing in the dirt. One time I heard speculation that perhaps he was listing the sins of the Pharisees. But if Love does not keep score, then that does not seem to fit. Was it a prayer to the Father? Was it his love song to the woman? To the Pharisees? I wonder what he would reveal if we asked him what he was writing in the dirt?
-Candice

No comments: