Tuesday, June 21, 2011

summer


Today is the first day of my favourite season: summer. For me summer is a break out of routine; time seems to slow down just a bit, and God's creation invites me to experience and enjoy.

Something I have engaged in for the past couple of summers, is asking God where he is drawing my attention to for these glorious, languid months. I have had both great pleasure and significant growth through intentionally walking my way through various books of the bible, as well as engaging more regularly in listening prayer.

Usually I have approached God on my own and asked for focus, and followed from there. This time, however, I joined my prayers with two dear friends and team-mates as we asked and listened for each other, then shared what we heard. This was a wonderful time of affirmation, and it was also refreshing to hear God's voice through others. An added dimension that I am looking forward to is the support of this little community, as we have agreed to pray for and check in on each other periodically throughout the summer to see how things are going.

So this summer it seems I am being invited to begin each day in a meeting place with God - to meet him in the river, so to speak. From there, I believe my scripture focus may be to reacquaint myself with the story of Moses. I really wonder what God plans to reveal to me in that story ... not only where I will find him, but also where I'll find myself. There are usually a couple of surprises along the way.

What if we each asked God what he wants to draw our focus to for the summer? Either on our own, or with a trusted friend or two? And then what if we went for it?! Might these sweet summer months become just a little bit sweeter?

-Candice

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I was sweetly reminded of you as I walked the labyrinth and St. B's yesterday...Do you think we could make our own somewhere??